Diet

Bone Broth Diet Review: Does It Work for Weight Loss?

Bone Broth DietHealthline Diet Score: 3 out of 5

The Bone Broth Diet blends a low-carb, paleo diet with intermittent fasting.

It claims to help you “lose up to 15 pounds, 4 inches, and your wrinkles — in just 21 days.”

However, these results are based on unpublished research.

This article reviews the Bone Broth Diet, how to follow it, and whether it can help you lose weight.

RATING SCORE BREAKDOWN

  • Overall score: 3
  • Fast weight loss: 3.5
  • Long-term weight loss: 2.5
  • Easy to follow: 2.5
  • Nutrition quality: 3.5

BOTTOM LINE: The Bone Broth Diet combines a low-carb, paleo diet with intermittent fasting, but it isn’t necessarily more effective than a standard reduced-calorie diet.

Share on Pinterest
What Is the Bone Broth Diet?

The 21-day Bone Broth Diet was created by Kellyann Petrucci, a naturopathic doctor who published a book on the diet.

You can extend the plan if you have additional weight to lose.

Five days a week, you consume low-carb, paleo-style meals — primarily meat, fish, poultry, eggs, nonstarchy vegetables, and healthy fats — and bone broth. You avoid all dairy, grains, legumes, added sugars, and alcohol.

Bone broth is made by simmering animal bones up to 24 hours to release minerals, collagen, and amino acids.

Two days a week, you do mini-fasts, which are modified fasts rather than complete fasts, as you’re still able to drink bone broth.

SUMMARYThe Bone Broth Diet is a 21-day weight loss plan in which you follow a low-carb, paleo diet five days a week and do bone broth fasts two days a week.

How It Works

To follow the Bone Broth Diet, pick two nonconsecutive days per week to do a mini-fast. The other five days are non-fasting days.

On both non-fasting and mini-fast days, you should eat your last meal or snack by 7 p.m.

Mini-Fast Days

You have two options on mini-fast days:

  • Option 1. Drink six 1-cup (237-ml or 8-ounce) portions of bone broth.
  • Option 2. Drink five portions of bone broth, then end the day with a snack containing protein, nonstarchy vegetables, and healthy fat.

Either way, you’ll consume only 300–500 calories on mini-fast days.

Non-Fasting Days

On non-fasting days, you choose from lists of allowed foods that fit into categories of protein, vegetables, fruit, and fat.

The regimen is as follows:

  • Breakfast: one portion protein, one portion fat, one portion fruit
  • Lunch: one portion protein, two portions vegetables, one portion fat
  • Dinner: one portion protein, two portions vegetables, one portion fat
  • Snacks: a one-cup portion of bone broth twice a day

Carbs — including fruit and starchy vegetables — are very limited to encourage fat burning.

Petrucci does not specify a range of calories for non-fasting days and discourages calorie counting.

80/20 Maintenance Plan

After 21 days — or later, depending on when you reach your weight loss goal — you shift to the 80/20 plan to help maintain your weight.

This means you eat approved foods 80% of the time. The remaining 20% of the time you can stray from the diet and eat foods such as dairy products and alcohol.

You can decide whether you want to continue the mini-fasts during the maintenance phase.

[“source=healthline”]